Writing poetry to some is a science while others it is an art. Once you understand the difference between the two methods of approaching poetry, you may select which of both is the ideal way for you to get into poetry. Needless to say, you may also opt for both approaches paying attention to mechanisms in addition to meaning and the total artistic message of your own poems. Ah, but this is a brief piece on writing strategies for poetry beginners, so it will stop there and continue with what you are after how to write better poetry.
- To Rhyme or Not – Lots of novices to poetry think you have to rhyme all of the time on a dime using a walnut well, you get the idea by referring myrelist.com. This is not necessarily the case. Some of the greatest poetry ever written does not rhyme whatsoever.
- Tennis With or Without Nets – If you compose sonnets and other structured poetry it is like you are playing tennis with a web and rules. There is a lot you can do, but some poets like free verse or poetry without too much shape. This will differ from poet to poet of course.
- Where to publish – While it is great to get your poetry printed in a print magazine, sometimes it is just about getting others to read your poetry. If that is true, there are several great poetry communities online which you can become a part of without too much hassle. Find one and write your own poetry
- When to Give Up – If you are a poet, you are likely never going to stop playing with words. This is true even when you give up writing them down. A true poet will have the words going through their mind at all times if they like it or not. Well, the majority of the time.
- Ignore the Rules – You can read all the stories and books about how to write poetry that you would like, but in the event that you cannot ever sit down and write poetry, you will never know if poetry is something that you are supposed to do or not. There comes a time when you need to ignore the rules. You should be aware of the rules before you throw them apart, but they should not always be followed.
There you have it a few simple poetry advices for beginners. If you are really seriously interested in poetry and using words to express yourself, you want to find a fantastic poetry community so you can grow as a poet. It is a long, difficult process, but for many people there is no other way of life that is worth living.